MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Quilters Tale

2 years ago when I dragged out my "long term" project, my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt .....14 years to be exact....I was a bit mortified at the quality of the stitching. This was my very first EPP attempt and I had not a clue what I was doing...even cut all the paper hexies by hand. It would appear from time to time and more hexies would be added. All along this 14 year time line.
With my "waste not, want not" mentality I felt I had to finish it......so borders were finally added and to cheer myself and my ego up and to prove to myself that I  had since "improved" I made teeny hexies and appliqued butterflies on the last border.
I thought simple hand quilting would suit this quilt also.

However. A strange thing happened as I quilted this poor old quilt, made with scraps from my scrap box and friends donations. It made me reflect on my quilting journey.....here was concrete proof that over these years I had indeed honed my skills as a needlewoman and improved and instead of being derided, it should be celebrated as my journey is documented in this quilt.
So.....here it is....finally finished and ready to perform its duty to keep body and soul warm....

The backing fabric was fabric I loved but had fallen out of favour so now I can enjoy it always .
I have used a beautifully worked old embroidered doiley for my label....the tiny bullion roses just seem to suit.
For some reason when we begin to learn a new skill, we expect to be brilliant immediately. We wrongly compare our efforts to others, become discouraged, instead of encouraging ourselves with our own progress regardless of that timeline.
So fellow needlewomen....take heart....don't rush. Enjoy where you are on your stitching journey. To create with your hands is no small thing....especially when the end result gives comfort and warmth.
Today I plan to curl up with a new to me book and rest and read.
Before I go I want to wish my Great Aunt Jess....my beloved Grandmother Roma's sister a very happy 100th birthday....what an amazing milestone.
My Uncle John paying tribute to the birthday girl....
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx

23 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks fabulous Michelle! I know what you mean about looking back at your early craft efforts ... I have the first quilt & first mohair bear I ever made & over the years I've thought about 'fixing' the imperfections of a beginner, but like you, decided they show my progress ... & none of us started out perfectly, so I've left them alone to enjoy in their imperfection. Enjoy your reading reward. :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your finish Michelle...that quilt is a treasure to enjoy seeing your progress, you are right itnis very easy to be discouraged by feeling our efforts are not up to standard. Happy birthday to your great aunt, fantastic milestone. Enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle what an awesome post i love your words and its so true what you have said. Bravo on your wonderful finish your quilt looks amazing and i love your sewing/stitching story,well done my friend ,Namaste and Blessing to you too my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. great finish Michelle! so true what you have said...not comparing ourselves to others, but unfortunately we all do it...something to remember while we stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story Michelle and a great way to end! Congratulations to Great Aunt Jess, she certainly does not look 100! Your quilt is so beautiful and such a lovely record of your journey. It is lovely to see slow thoughtful sewing going on instead of the 'finish it in a day' culture that seems to be around. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to have a Centenarian in the family! Happy Birthday Aunt Jess. The quilt is beautiful Michelle, and I love the doily label too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your aunt looks amazing. She is no where near 100

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is amazing and another UFO finished. Well done. I love the new profile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really loved reading this post Michelle... of course to see your quilt finished after all this time... but your words about the development of skills over time & to be patient with ourselves. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely story and your finished quilt looks wonderful. Fourteen years is not too long, it just makes it vintage! Many congratulations to the birthday girl, what an amazing milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your quilt... and it's come with a lovely story. It's gorgeous. Happy birthday to your gt aunt.... she looks well.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quilt is just stunning and a tribute to all your hard work, love the idea of the doily. Happy Birthday to your Aunt, wow 100, that is an achievement and a blessing to all her family xxxx. Guida

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great quilt, Michelle! Absolutely amazing! And I love the backing fabric, too!
    Your aunt is so pretty! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mia. I am pleased with how it turned out after so long. My Aunt Jess is indeed a beautiful person xx

      Delete
  14. It looks great
    Long term project for sure but what an amazing result
    Happy 100th birthday to your beautiful Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful grandmothers garden quilt, one you will treasure, so many thoughts and memories stitched up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful post Michelle and your words are so true.
    So glad you chose to finish your Hexie garden it’s so beautiful!
    I look back at some of my first quilts and I really loved making them but they are a bit cringeworthy in places but they were the start of a journey.....Continuously learning and improving

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely hexie quilt! And what a great piece of YOUR quilting history! Enjoy your wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you are treasuring your hexy quilt. So special. I had an Aunt Jess too. She died last year at 101. She even looked a lot like your Great Aunt. What a special milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt and a lovely sentiment to the journey. Happy birthday to Great Aunt Jessie. Wow what an achievement and she looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, our quilts do tell our story as we progress with our skills and our interests. It is lovely to see. Well done on the finish and your dogged determination.
    And i must say that 100 is an amazing effort! Wonder if any of us will do it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fabulous story Michelle - and a wonderful reflection. A beautiful quilt. 100 years is an amazing milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. the journey of a quilt is so special....it tells a story of you and your life thur this time also the changes in your sewing skills, fabric choices.......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.