MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Travelling North

Well folks we have relaxed a little bit more as each mile has been left behind us as we head towards the top end. This requires travelling through outback Queensland. I love all these little Country towns especially as one is my birthplace. Even though I left as a young child, I still feel something stir as I get closer.....strange but very true. The clamshells are well and truly underway! Very happy travelling stitcher.
Morning tea in Morven revealed this very quaint sculpture....all made from corrugated iron...love the working dogs and this is a lovely tribute. Those wily sheep...
And their mate...not letting them get away with anything.
The wide view....he has a friend at the other end.
I just loved the water feature....the old water tank and kettle powered by solar panel!

We stayed in Tambo last night. Famous for Tambo Teddies....I was very good and cuddled one but didn't bring one home. I popped into the art gallery along the street and was surprised by a beautiful display which tells a story that 2 sisters have put together. One an artist and the other a writer...about coming back to Grandma Kates home...just lovely!
I also bought a gorgeous handmade sugar spoon featuring flannel flowers. I had such a nice wander here.

I could not get over the size of this bottle tree. It was huge!!

Today we came through the towns of  Blackall and Barcaldine. My Grandad came here when he was 26 in the 1920s from an English winter to an outback Queensland December. His diary entries are very poignant about this time. Spending Christmas in the local pub alone knowing no one. Hot and dusty and definitely no air con to boot.
I can only imagine the shock of it all. Still he did become a very dedicated Aussie country pastor giving 40 years of country service.

Of course there is always once of those pesky vanners trying to get in the photo lol!
A pit stop was had at Ram Park....lots of history and such and fresh baked Blackall cream buns and hot coffee from the flask went down a treat!


Loved the old toys...
And it was hard to keep my hands in my pockets when I saw all these wonderful tins.
Well I shall leave you with the view we are becoming accustomed too....driving through our wide brown land!
From a very warm Longreach...outback Queensland I say hooroo!
Namaste and Blessings Michelle xxx

21 comments:

  1. Love following your journey around the state. Look forward to seeing more photo's. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip and a great time you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember rightly some one is having a birthday tomorrow Best wishes for a good one xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting......thank you for taking us along, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty flower - had to look up flannel flowers, thought at first they were flowers made from flannel!! Great sculptures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip with interesting stops. You bought a beautiful spoon. Love seeing other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful trip with lots of interesting stops and photos. Love the spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you safe and happy travels as you tootle along towing your caravan behind you. I'm enjoying your Australian scenery too - and I'll let you in on a little secret. We will be travelling to Oz in a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I look forward to seeing your journey unfold.....enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely post reading about the travels and places you have stopped at...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your trip. The photos look wonderful and I'm sure it's a lot warmer than here! Happy birthday if what retdairyqueen says is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like your trip is going very well. I do love what our little country towns have to offer. Something different at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you are having a great time. Lots of lovely pics. oooo tins mmmmmm. You were very restrained not adopting a teddy bear. Relax, have fun and enjoy the break.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So interesting Michelle, I am glad that you are enjoying your trip! Travel well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, you really are covering a lot of country. I have never been out to these towns (must rectify that one day), but all are so interesting. Love the animal sculptures. have fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Michelle, my husband and I have travelled our wide land, you are stirring up wonderful memories,so I hope you don't mind if we are with you every km. of the way, even if it is armchair travel this time.
    Hugs R.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos Michelle, Have a wonderful holiday. Safe travels..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like your having a great trip. I would love to have a camper to travel. What size is your.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really enjoying your photos Michelle, have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A perfect way to enjoy your birthday celebrations. Have a happy day and a wonderful trip.

    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful experience that must have been, going through territory that was so meaningful to you and to your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.