MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Vintage and Faux Vintage

Good morning to you all. This week I had a very busy week but the "Happy" kind of busy....great Art class, stitching at my friend Lorel's and friend Diane's. It was my first one of each for the year. How I had missed these ladies. Whilst at Lorel's she bought out a little treasure she had found amongst her Mother's things.
Beautiful delicate ladies gloves and a hand embroidered sachet to keep them safe.
Both pairs are in immaculate condition and the embroidery on the sachet is beautiful. The white pair of gloves have a lace top...
Aren't they sweet. They took me straight back to Sunday mornings in church listening to my Grandfather deliver the sermon from the pulpit  and my Grandmother playing the organ (in her best hat and gloves)....and myself sitting there in my gloves and hat and trying to sit still (a great difficulty for me) LOL!
Thanks Lorel for allowing me to share them. I think they are gorgeous.
Now to the Faux Vintage or Antique.....after finishing the applique on my central block of my newly named quilt "Remembering Roma"....thank you Annette from Jindi's Cottage Annette suggested to me it would be nice to incorporate my Grandmother into the quilts name as I have particularly included her much loved pink carnations in the quilt.
I did a little embroidery to finish it off.
Viola! Block finished!
Roma was my Grandmother and she has been on my mind a lot whilst working on this quilt (which is always a comfort to me)  and as she adored flowers, loved pink carnations, little birds and was married to an Englishman it seems perfect to call it "Remembering Roma"...much better than the "1700's type" quilt lol! A little side note her name was actually Lillian Roma but she detested the Lillian for some reason and went by her second name of Roma....all who loved her knew her as Roma.
I am working on four little six pointed stars for the corners around the central panel next.
I have actually been busy stitching...some secret stuff and this little stitchery by Sue Daley.
After admiring some stitching that Sandi from Forevermoore was doing with DMC 840's (I chose 840) I had been keen to try it and I love the softer more vintagey look it gives. Thanks Sandi x
I can't show you what it is all about as it is a secret...far too many nosey parkers around lol!
Enjoy your weekend everyone, we are off to decide who is going to do us over the least and VOTE!
Namaste and Blessings,
Michelle xxx

23 comments:

  1. I love the pretty gloves and what a good idea about having a special place to store and protect them. The quilt block is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your centre block is beautiful, and a lovely tribute to your nanna. The gloves are so pretty, reminders of life lived at a different speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember wearing little white gloves to church when I was a child , I felt very special :-) your block is beautiful and I love that you have named it after your grandmother who you loved .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt block and the name is very appropriate.
    I remember my mother wearing gloves to church and often when she went into town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the block Michelle and that little bit of embroidery brings it altogether beautifully. A lovely way to remember your grand mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very beautiful block and a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Such lovely gloves and glove case too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another one here who remembers wearing gloves! As well as a case for gloves, a lady would have had a hanky sachet.....in fact, I still have one. Remembering Roma will be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those gloves & that case made my heart skip a beat MIchelle, I just adore anything vintage like that & have an old collar box on my dressing table with some lace gloves peeking out of it :-) Remembering Rona looks just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the gloves look gorgeous and I love the memories they stirred up for you.
    Perfect name choice for your vinatge quilt! well done Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember wearing gloves to Sunday school, you have just reminded me lol. Hats, bags and gloves were the thing back then. I so love your beautiful applique and that stitchery has me quite intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your block is looking so lovely!! Such beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, ... Remembering Roma is going to be a beautiful quilt, I love that center block !

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely tribute to your grandmother. She would be smiling from ear to ear I'm sure. Xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello I'am Chris !
    this is not a "spam"
    The "directory" is 16 million visits, 193 Country in the World! and more than 18,000 blogs. Come join us, registration is free, we only ask that you follow our blog
    You Have A Wonderful Blog Which I Consider To Be Registered In International Blog Dictionary. You Will Represent Your Country
    Please Visit The Following Link And Comment Your Blog Name
    Blog Url
    Location Of Your Country Operating In Comment Session Which Will Be Added In Your Country List
    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    Imperative to follow our blog to validate your registration.Thank you for your understanding
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.fr/
    Happy Blogging
    ****************
    please : I AM FOLLOWING, PLEASE FOLLOW BACK
    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilt blocks. Wonderful tribute to your Grandmother. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your block is just beautiful, Michelle. How special are those lovely gloves. What a treasure you friend has in them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful block - your Grandma must have been a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  18. how lovely to see those gloves.... they did look so graceful but I am rather happy we are not expected to wear them these days! I love your block ... and perfect name for it too...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the name :) ...and your centre block is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely to see the beautiful gloves and their gorgeous embroidered case. I also remember having little white gloves and a hat for church. It would be nice to have a photo of it, wouldn't it? Those days are certainly past.
    Your centre block is really pretty, and I love those pink carnations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the gloves and their protective sachet. I remember making a handkerchief sachet in sewing class at primary school. It's the little things that are precious reminders of the 'olden days' isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous name for a gorgeous quilt Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. The centre block is gorgeous, I love the little bits of stitchery, and really love where you have perched the sweet birdie :) What a fantastic name for the quilt! Well done Annette :) Oooh I do like that thread, must remember that number :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.